Saturday 12 December 2015

Necco Sky Bar (American Chocolate Bar)

I went into 'Black Friday' with the intention of not falling prey to any of the tempting deals that would be on display, so I decided to stay clear of the shops altogether and focus on my assignments. But then boredom kicked in, and I sneaked a sideways glance at my twitter feed where I saw American Soda advertising 30% off everything- an offer I couldn't resist. It was a prime opportunity to give myself an early Christmas present and order a hoard of American treats that I've been wanting to try.



 One of which was the 'Sky Bar' which contains four different segments, each with a different filling: caramel, peanut, vanilla & fudge. As arguably the worst decision maker in the world this seemed like the perfect solution to me (I regularly end up with a mishmash of toppings on my crumpets- anyone else for chocolate spread, peanut butter and jam? No? I thought not). 


The first thing I noticed when opening the bar was the smell of cheap, advent calender style chocolate. I then chopped the bar in half for photographic purposes, but also to work out which segment was which, and saw what appeared to be two caramel segments.


I bit into what I thought was going to be caramel, but turned out to be the peanut. Instead of the Reese's-esque peanut butter filling I was expecting, there was an odd nutty-caramel type affair. I felt a bit cheated! It wasn't unpleasant, just different. Next up was the segment with the white centre which appeared to be vanilla. The filling was sticky, less runny than the caramel and similar to fondant. I can't say that I enjoyed it, but again it wasn't horrible either. The caramel was gooey, and sweet but lacked the depth of flavour that you would find in a Galaxy caramel bar,or the caramel brownie Lindt bar
The fudge wasn't fudgy- it was just a cheap soft chocolate centre that was overly sweet and cloying- not good.

Overall this chocolate bar looks and feels cheap and I wish I hadn't wasted my money. Its a lovely concept, but its executed really poorly. If only Cadbury/Mars/Lindt would harness this idea and do it some justice....

4/10


No comments:

Post a Comment