Wednesday 6 January 2016

Protein Active Peanut Chia Blast Bar (Home Bargains)

I can't think of a more unusual shop than Home Bargains. It's the only place where you might find Emma Bridgewater wellies for less than a tenner, LED Gnomes, Matrix Hair Oils, and Heinz Worcester Sauce (which for info tastes like chinese!). On a recent store exploration, I spotted this Peanut Chia Blast bar. In the same way that Magpies are attracted to all things shiny, I'm drawn to anything with peanut in...


'Healthy Protein Snack made with Carob, Roasted Peanuts & Chia Seeds'.

The bar came in slab form, covered in what looked like chocolate, but was in fact Carob. Biting into the bar, the texture reminded me of a powdery Nougat. The sweetness greeted me with my first mouthful, and although it tasted unlike anything I'd had before, I thought I'd hit the flavour jackpot. I couldn't really detect the peanuts, which was disappointing, but I was enjoying it so I didn't really mind. By the time I'd made my way half way through, the bar became cloying, and I felt queasy. Not wanting to quit, I carried on -ignoring the alarm bells ringing in my head- but it was a mistake: a BIG mistake. The bar had turned my stomach to the point of no return... 


I'm not sure if it was due to the high levels of Whey protein in the bar, but my body couldn't handle it. It was the worst thing I've eaten in a long time (it was even worse than the Beetroot yoghurts). I've tried looking on their website for this product, but I couldn't find it; so I don't know if other people have felt the same and its since been discontinued. All I know is, I won't be buying this, or any of Protein Actives's other products ever again. 

0/10

10 comments:

  1. I've felt queasy and unwell too after one bite also. I assumed that it may contain some eggs (I have an allergy) even though it is not explicitly stated in the ingredient list. I'm consume high protein diet so in my case I'm sure that is not the reason. Your rating of 0/10 is accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! It was the most stomach-turningly awful snack I've ever consumed, and so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who didn't get on with it. I've since seen posts from people who do enjoy the peanut chia blast bar, but I don't know how Or why they do!

      Delete
  2. Interesting to read the comments above. I do regular intense exercise, and therefore require a whey protein boost right after training to help with muscle recovery and repair (I'm not interested in bulking up but injury is a serious concern). Normally I take a protein shake, but sometimes a bar is more convenient and I like trying new ones. This one became an instant favourite. I loved the taste and consistency, and it had just the right amount of protein. I did not experience any of the symptoms described above, so maybe these are not exactly meant to be taken as snacks? Could the lack of physical activity prior to eating this explain the symptoms described? - I was planning to stock a few of these for my next trekking trip and looked for more, but to my disapointment it is sold out everywhere and Protein Active doesn't seem to be doing them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting André and I'm glad to hear that these bars have some fans. You might well be correct about the exercise but I haven't had any trouble with any of the protein drinks (for example the for goodness shakes drinks) http://newtreats.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/new-for-goodness-shakes-chocolate.html?m=0
      Have you tried looking for these bars in Home Bargains? Our local branch seems to have a constant supply of the Protein works bars at low prices? Good luck with your Trekking!

      Delete
  3. Tried these the other day from home bargin and I have to say I tasted the peanut more than anything, the texture was no where near as bad as some of the protein bars I've eaten! I do high intensity workouts (losing the weight) and use them for recovery. I tried the other paleo bar one they sell in HB as well... It tasted more like a coffee flavour and was nasty as hell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried these the other day from home bargin and I have to say I tasted the peanut more than anything, the texture was no where near as bad as some of the protein bars I've eaten! I do high intensity workouts (losing the weight) and use them for recovery. I tried the other paleo bar one they sell in HB as well... It tasted more like a coffee flavour and was nasty as hell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can look at my blog to see nutritional facts of fat free, and low fat food with protein at grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta say I love these bars. And I've been back to Home Bargains on more than one occassion to grab myself an entire box full! Nutritionally these are the best protein bars I've seen, especially because they're not pumped full of rubbish like most are.

    Flavour-wise I think they're actually nice too. If you're not used to the general taste of protein bars then you'll probably disagree, but for a bar thats not overly sweet, contains a high amount of protein whilst being low in sugar, these are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried all three versions that HB sell, the yellow ones (Peanut Chia), purple ones (Paleo) and the brown ones (Beast bar with 5 grams of creatine), and there's a really nice variety between all three. Plus the paleo and beast ones are made from Egg and Pea protein and not just Whey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to address the queasiness issue. Not something I've had - but I consume a lot of protein, and have tried pretty much every bar on the market. No problems here and I train at high intensity 3/4 times a week. Usually consume these in the afternoon at work where I have a desk job sitting down all day.

    ReplyDelete