Tuesday 6 June 2017

NEW! Mars Choc Brownie Review

Theres a new Mars bar in town! Well. I say new, but is it really? Mars Choc Brownie certainly sounds new, but it also sounds eerily similar to the Mars Triple Choc and the Xtra Choc. Are they just rehashing the same bar under different guises? Quite possibly. It didn't sound much different...

The press releases for all three bars went as follows:

2011 Triple Choc: 'tasty chocolate nougat and delicious chocolate caramel, covered in thick milk chocolate'.

2015 Xtra Choc: 'extra chocolatey taste from delicious chocolate caramel and tasty chocolate nougat encased in a thick chocolate coat' 

2017 new Choc Brownie: 'thick chocolate nougat with indulgent dark caramel”, covered in Mars chocolate, to create a “new twist on a chocolate classic”.

Ahem. In any case, I miss the discontinued Xtra Choc, so set out on a mission to find the Choc Brownie at the same time as the new McVities banoffee caramel and coffee* caramel digestives! The new Mars bar was  reportedly launched on the 22nd of May (once again, thanks to @productsinstore for the heads up) but I couldn't find it for love nor money. In the end I harassed my poor corner shop so much that they eventally got them in. Hurrah! It's therefore worth checking your corner shops, although I've seen reports that four packs are in Bargain Buys and PoundWorld (just not in Hereford PoundWorld).


Slicing it in half revealed the distinct Mars layers of milk chocolate (35%), nougat (37%) and caramel (28%) in completely different hues to the standard bar. 

The nougat and chocolate was as expected, indifferent to the Xtra Choc bar, but sweet and scrummy nonetheless. Described as dark caramel I'm unsure whether the gooey layer was meant to taste of chocolate seeing as there was already so much chocolate in the bar. To me it had tones reminiscent of black treacle and was unlike that used in the Xtra Choc bar - but perhaps that was my wishful imagination. 


I enjoyed the Mars Choc Brownie and will be sure to buy more once I've made my way through my extensive chocolate collection! Just be warned - it's a bar for those in dire need of a sugar hit. 

My only gripe is that surely the team at Mars could be more creative than rehashing the old limited editions. Given the variety in flavours of nougat style protein bars, surely Mars could bring out something more creative! It wouldn't even have to be as different as the wonderful Dark Chocolate & Raspberry Smart Bar or Banana Carb Killa -although chocolate bar versions of both of those bars would be great! A peanut butter, white chocolate or mocha Mars Bar would suffice!

7/10

* which I still haven't found yet, so please get in touch if you find them!

11 comments:

  1. I'm on the hunt for the coffee caramel digestives too- I'm going to check Waitrose tomorrow...I'll let you know if there is success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks wifey! I'm STILL searching everywhere. Damn McVities and their delicious biscuits!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! I bought it in London :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just got one of these from local Martin's supermarket for 45p, i may well be hoarding it though. i wish i could buy another rockin nut road snickers...

    my parcel from Candy hero also arrived today - containing a Finnish treat called 'Kismet' which is a wafer with liquorice filling (other flavours available...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh intriguing! Let me know how you get on with it.. although I won't be personally trying the liquorice flavour!

      Delete
    2. The 'kismet' is very nice :-)

      Delete
    3. Good to know! Thanks D, will keep an eye out for Kismets on my travels!

      Delete
  4. try coop butterscotch and pretzel cookies

    ReplyDelete
  5. found multipacks in Poundland Salisbury

    ReplyDelete