Wednesday 3 August 2016

Salted Caramel Ice Cream Sticks (Tesco)

I get through a huge amount of ice cream. I mean seriously, at least 5 days out of 7 I have it as an after dinner treat. Fortunately for me, I can't be the only addict out there. A quick glance down any of the supermarket's frozen aisles will prove just how large the market is -and there's no room for losers any more. Even better, many of the supermarket's own brand offerings are just as good -if not better- than the premium brands. Take ASDA's Peanut Butter & Salted Caramel Sticks or LIDL's Tiramisu & Cream tubs for example! Tesco are at it too, with a range of indulgent ice creams including the Cookie Crumble ice creams that I reviewed a few weeks ago. One of my lovely readers (yes you LJ) has been imploring me to try Tesco's Salted Caramel lollies for months now, and I've finally got around to it at long last....



"Salted caramel dairy ice cream, covered with salted caramel sauce, coated in Belgian milk chocolate with caramel pieces."

Yay for decent portion sizes, the sticks are 100ml (far better vfm than Magnum). Boo for the hot weather/Tesco stores/soft ice cream. Every single one of the chocolate casings had split in the box, bearing the golden ice cream within. Whilst the aesthetics didn't bother me, it did mean that I ended up having to finish my hand-held dessert from a bowl. 



I quickly forgave Tesco for the packaging issues because the flavour was exquisite -LJ you're right! The caramel ice cream was as salted as it should be, resulting in a perfect saline-sweet harmony that danced on my tastebuds. Personally, I prefer a slightly more solid number so that I can relish the flavour for longer -but that's only quibbles. The chocolate that surrounded it wasn't half bad either; not the best I've ever tasted but damn good -especially for a 'non-luxury' brand. Perhaps the caramel sauce wasn't required as there was enough going on already, but I wasn't about to complain about its inclusion, particularly as it didn't detract from the other flavours.



A mighty contender from Tesco. If the ice cream was firmer I would happily give it full marks. 

9/10

5 comments:

  1. :o) I'm so pleased you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! Looks delicious! If you had to choose between these and the M&S salted caramel ice cream stick which would you say is better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&S. Hands down. Have you tried either?

      Delete
    2. No! I keep meaning too but always end up buying tubs of ice cream as opposed to sticks. Really want to though!!

      Delete