Wednesday 7 September 2016

NEW! Coco Pops Choco Bakes (Sainsbury's)

I spied these new chocolatey cake bars on shelves a few weeks ago but something stopped me from buying them. It wasn't even the normal premium price that often coincides with a product launch that deterred me, after all they seem to have cropped up here, there and everywhere for around £1 a box. I think it was more to do with the fact that I couldn't get my head around the idea of a low-calorie, low-fat chocolate cake slice tasting less than disappointing. I love my chocolate (as I'm sure you're all more than aware by now!) and I can't be dealing with low-calorie fake versions of the stuff -especially when it comes to cake. Still, when I spotted a box reduced to 70p in Sainsbury's because of its slightly battered state, my natural inquisition won out -and I figured I'd palm them off on my less fussy fiance if they weren't to my tastes. Joking! Well, maybe. ;) 




"Wheat bakes with chocolate chips."

Not the most appetising description in the world, and I must admit I was slightly disappointed when I shook one out of the box. They were tiny! Still, for 112kcal per bake, what else could I expect?



Things started to look up when I unwrapped the bar, and uncovered a treat that looked more brownie-esque than 'wheat bake'. A welcome dark colour and chocolatey aroma also made my heart leap slightly, perhaps they wouldn't be so bad after all! 



Well, blow me down. The Coco Pops bar was moist and chewy with enough cocoa to give a true chocolatey kick. Kellogg's earned extra brownie points from the abundance of chocolate chips -which I wasn't even expecting in the first place. 

My hat is off and tail is firmly between my legs. I shouldn't have doubted Kellogg's -after all I think their Nutri Grain Breakfast Bakes (previously Elevenses) are pretty damn good- but I actually think the Coco Pops Choco Bakes are even better.  

These make for a wonderful mid-morning/afternoon pick me up or a joyous lunchbox treat (FYI they contain a respectable 6.6g of sugar too -less than a chocolate Barny at 8.8g). I'm already looking forward to my next one, which will no doubt be served up warm with a couple of generous scoops of raspberry ripple ice cream -scrummy.

9/10

1 comment: