Friday 4 December 2015

Lebkuchen Stars from ASDA

Fröhliche Weihnachten! I love Lebkuchen... It's one of my all-time favourite Christmas treats, and so I've been astounded recently when I've discovered that most of my friends have never even heard of it -let alone tried it- so I thought I'd write a post about ASDA's Lebkuchen stars. 



Lebkuchen (for anyone who doesn't know) is a traditional German soft spiced baked biscuit, similar to gingerbread. Some are heart shaped -which are coated in dark chocolate with an apricot jam centre- however the stars aren't filled and are half iced and half coated in dark chocolate.


The stars are a mixture of white and brown biscuits, and are fairly soft. They are gently spiced, with cinnamon coming through as the most prevalent flavour. They are dense which makes them satisfyingly chewy, and the dark chocolate underside adds a rich depth of flavour. Some stars taste harder than others, but I like both the soft and the chewier ones. The only problem is- they are so moreish that I could quite happily polish off the entire bag in one sitting!
I have bought Tesco's Lebkuchen stars this year too, and they must come from the same factory as they taste pretty much identical from what I can remember! In past years I've always bought Lidl's which I recall tasting more gingery. They come in a bigger pack with a mixture of different shapes, and I can definitely recommend them, especially as it's a German supermarket. 

For anyone who loves a bit of festive baking, the  BBC Good Food's recipe is fantastic.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment