Wednesday 28 October 2015

Peanut Butter Clif Bars

This week as part of my Boots meal deal, I opted for something I've never chosen before. Next to the cereal bars was this peanut butter Clif Bar. As soon as I read 'peanut butter' I was tempted, but then I realised it was a protein bar and I wavered. I've never really bought into the whole protein thing, particularly because I don't do weight lifting, and in fact the closest I get to going to the gym is the long daily dog walk.

I pondered over it for a while, and then decided that I hadn't much to lose as I was only paying £1 for my entire lunch anyway (thanks again o2). It is described quite simply as an 'Oat and Peanut Butter Energy Bar'. Clif are an American brand and the packet tells me that it's named after his father; how cute.



When I removed the wrapper I uncovered a rather unattractive alien-like brown bobbled mass. I was expecting it to be similar to a flapjack, but it was denser and actually stickier than that. I could see the mottled mounds of chopped peanut dotted across the top that assured me of the peanut buttery reason why I bought it in the first place.



The texture was chewy- a little bit like nougat- and it didn't have the crunch that I expected. I could taste the sweetness from the peanuts, but it lacked the lovely saltiness that balances a good peanut butter. The fact that it's so dense means it's quite satisfying to eat and leaves you feeling like you've had a decent snack. I could detect a slightly odd, almost artificial after-taste though which I thought might be some kind of protein powder. It led me to check the ingredients but the only things I could blame it on is brown rice syrup or soy rice crisps, both of which I've not acknowledged having eaten before.

The nutritional information also informed me that it contains 11g of protein. Now as i mentioned before, I don't do any kind of weight lifting, but I also don't eat a lot of meat either which means I probably don't always meet my daily requirements of protein. I know that's boring for you, but if you're a vegan/vegetarian these might just be a handy way of meeting your daily needs.

This wasn't my favourite peanut butter snack (that definitely sits with the glorious Nutter Butter Bites) but I did enjoy it, and will have it again in the future no doubt.... especially if I see the 'White Chocolate Macademia' about!

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment