Tuesday 25 April 2017

NEW! Yoo Moo Honey & Granola Frozen Yogurt (ASDA)

How do you feel about froyo? I distinctly remember the first time I tried it, I must've been about 7 or 8 and I was at a flower show (or shower flow as I called it) with my Daddio -he's a horticulturist. It was a blazing summers day and amidst the various stands was a tent selling froyo. As one of four children, it was often too expensive to treat us to ice creams when we were out (unless it was a mini milk) but I think it was just my brother and I that day. In any case I was bought a froyo and fell in love with the tangy frozen dessert. 

A few years ago it seemed like froyo was going to take off here, but it never really took hold (certainly not the way salted Caramel has anyway). There's still an ample selection about though if you keep your eyes peeled, but I must admit to buying ice cream instead 97% of the time. My only exception in recent years has been the Yoo Moo range, especially when Tesco sold the mini Angelmoo and Devilmoo pots. I've been deliberating over their new Honey & Granola pint tub since it came out a couple of months ago, but as always, the new ice creams took priority. Eventually I bought the tub for £2 from ASDA.

"Frozen yogurt with honey flavoured sauce and granola"

It's been so long since I last had froyo that I forgot how much more waterier it is. Of course this do make it easier to serve and underneath my first scoop I discovered a glistening pocket of treasure, aka honey. There was a good tablespoon of the sauce all bundled together, and I hoped that it wasn't the only honey in the tub. 


The flavour had the signature tang that I love so much, however the first portion I served contained all that honey, which did render it very sickly -especially as I served it atop a Muscle Moose Mug Cake. There was little-to-no Granola chunks either, and I was all but ready to give up on the Yoo Moo.


Fortunately my second experience was much better; the honey was more evenly distributed and worked wonderfully to offset the tang. As for the Granola pieces, they were far and few between (they only make up 6%) but offered something different to the usual biscuit pieces that you find in many of the luxury ice cream tubs. I still haven't made my mind up on them though. You see, I think that Granola should be crisp with a slight crunch but -as with many of the biscuits embedded within ice creams- they'd gone a little soft. 


The new honey & granola Yoo Moo is a refreshing alternative to ice cream and also low in calories and fat (118kcals & 1.9g fat per 100ml serving) so it's perfect for dieters, but I won't be rushing out to replace my tub when it's finished.


7/10

1 comment:

  1. I expected the lower fat content, but how does the sugar content compare to ice cream? Yoghurt is usually full of sugar.

    I have often wondered why they bother putting crunchy stuff in that will only go soft. I sometimes chuck a few clusters on from out of the cereal packet. Much better.

    ReplyDelete